Frequently Asked Questions

When you are thinking about immigrating to the United State, you and your family probably have many questions. Immigration can be a difficult and complicated process, and it is important that you have a legal advocate on your side to avoid additional stress.

What is naturalization?

Naturalization is the process by which a green card holder obtains U.S. citizenship. This process requires permanent resident status for at least five years, as well as the ability to read, write, and speak English fluently. You will be tested on your reading comprehension as well as your understanding of U.S. history. You must also be at least 18 years of age and have “good moral character” which means you should not have a conviction for a serious crime on your record.

Can I apply for a visa to work in the U.S.?

The short answer is yes. There are many different types of work visas, including visas given under NAFTA, visas for “extraordinary ability,” visas sponsored by a company because you are a specialist in your field, and longer-term employment green cards that can jumpstart your path to citizenship.

Each of these visas comes with its own rules and time limits, and each has different qualifications for applicants. To discuss your immigration status, contact Adesina Law Firm, PC.

Can I bring my family to live in the United States?

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may be able to file a petition for an immediate family member or other relative to enter the country. The waiting period depends on how close the individual’s relationship is to you. For example, immediate relatives such as spouses and biological minor children, are not subject to waiting periods and quotas, if they have entered the country legally, but adult children, a first preference category, are only allotted a little over 23,000 green cards per year and are subject to a waiting period of about five years.

I’m an immigrant spouse that has been abused. Can I stay in the country?

The U.S. offers protection for abused spouses and their children. If you were legally married to a U.S. citizen and have suffered abuse or cruelty, you may be eligible to self-petition for immigration benefits. To be qualified, you must have entered the marriage in good faith and be of a good moral character.

Can I come to the U.S. to attend college or university?

Most students from abroad come to the U.S. to study under an F-1 student visa. In that case, it is necessary to pay the full tuition rate. Some U.S. states allow the sons and daughters of long-term visa holders to attend state universities and pay the resident tuition rate; however, the rules on this vary from state to state, particularly, which visa categories, if any, qualify for the resident tuition rate. It also varies from state to state whether they offer the resident tuition rate to residents of the state who have graduated from high school in the state but do not have legal immigration status in the U.S.

Have Questions About Your Immigration Options?
Ready to get started on your case?