Removal of Conditions I-751


Immigrants who have been issued a temporary green card can call us at ADESINA LAW FIRM to assist them with removing the conditions on their green card. Immigrants who have been married for less than 2 years receive a conditional green card for two years.  After which time they are required to apply to remove the condition on their green card. The two years provide enough time for the newly married couple to establish a life together and acquire the records necessary to demonstrate the fact that they are in a bona fide marriage. A conditional green card holder is legally in the same position as a green card holder with no conditions. (They can not vote but they can travel in and out of the US and seek employment).

The immigrant is required to file a form I-751 to remove the condition on their green card before the conditional green card expires. Filing form, I-751 is considered timely when it is filed 90 days before the date your conditional green card expires. A late petition may be filed if the petitioner can show “good cause and extenuating circumstances” which caused the late filing.

Documents required when filing a form, I-751

  1. Financial records that show joint assets and liabilities.
  2. Photographs through the years showing you and your spouse as a married couple
  3. Marriage certificate.
  4. Birth certificate of those children born to the marriage.

And more

Note– The petitioner and their spouse will be required to jointly file Form I-751 within 90 days before the two-year anniversary of your permanent resident status. The joint filing requirement may be waived for those residents who cannot file jointly. A waiver may be granted where the spouse is deceased, you are divorced, or you and/or your child were subject to abuse or extreme cruelty.

Have Questions About Your Immigration Options?
Ready to get started on your case?